Friday, May 11, 2012

7 April 2011

image

On a Thursday during the spring of last year Palestinian militants launched an anti-tank rocket at a school bus.  All of the children had already been dropped off except for one.  Sixteen year-old Daniel Viflic was struck in the head by metal shrapnel and died 10 days later.

I felt so sad and even cried as I read this story.  It absolutely broke my heart to hear of such a terrible thing to happen to a 16-year-old boy.  As I went about my day on that Thursday afternoon (acknowledging the time difference) there was an Israeli boy fighting for his life after having been shot at by angry men.

image“What can men do against such reckless hate?”

Aragorn’s response to King Theoden’s exasperated plea I believe is very timely for us:  “Ride out and meet them”.  I have recently had an involved discussion on the matters of the foreign policies of the United States with one of my co-workers.  I believe our only option to preserve our own safety and others is to “carry a large stick”.  Sometimes we may forget the first part of the West African proverb coined by Theodore Roosevelt: speak softly.  If there is something I think our country should change is to speak softer.  In addition to the obvious, this principle would also include not supporting or attempting to change the entire world through U.S. influence, military or otherwise.

We have plenty of good things to offer the world through our example as a God-fearing, law-abiding, and responsible State.  We got this.

No comments: